Friday, April 18, 2008

BREAD!!!!!!!!!


Fun School

We had fun doing something new this week!! We made homemade bread!! We all had so much fun and it was VERY YUMMY too. Doing this brought back so many memories of my childhood. While we were growing up, my parents always made all of our bread. It started out being my daddy who was the bread baker, but one day, mama decided she would try her hand at it and when it turned out well, dad thought she should take over that job. Mondays were bread day and it was always so nice to come home from school to our home smelling SOOOO GOOD!! Mama would have lots of bread made but always made sure she had a loaf just coming out of the oven when we arrived. She would slice it while it was still warm and spread some butter on it for us. MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM GOOD!!
So, on to our bread day!! I decided Monday would be a great day to try my hand at bread baking. I wasn't sure how much the recipe (which happens to be the recipe mama used way back when) would make so I just made a single batch.
Here it is in the bowl ready to sit for about an hour to rise.......


and, this is what it looked like after the hour was up!!



Morgan got the fun job of "punching" it down after it rose!!


Of course, everyone had to get their hands in it though!


We ended up with 3 loaves and 9 cinnamon rolls out of that batch.

I also bought some whole wheat flour but I only had enough yeast left to make a half a batch. Here is Kristen kneading that one....

Aaron kneading it too!

The half a batch of wheat dough gave us 2 nice sized loaves. We kept one and took one over to one of our neighbors. I ran to the grocery store that evening to pick up some more yeast!!

Day two of bread making!! Tuesday morning, Lil'Rob arrived and we jumped right into our bread baking adventure again. We wanted to give a loaf to Mrs. Lisa's family (neighbors) and also to Ms. Stephanie and her family. We decided to make a double batch this time!! Here are Ian and Lil'Rob stirring the dry ingredients....












Concentrating hard!





I think they had fun with the flour!











Momo wanted to try kneading this time!





This batch made 3 regular loaves, one cinnamon loaf, 12 dinner rolls, and 20 big cinnamon rolls ( and 4 small pretzels too!!). It was so much fun and now that we know we can do it and we have enjoyed homemade bread all week, I think this will become a regular thing around here!! PB&J and grilled cheese sandwiches on homemade bread are the best!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ssssooooo....was lil'Rob mixin with his toes too????? LOL!!! I see those toes on the edge of the bowl!!!! I miss ya'LL!!!!!!!!!!!! Aunt Trina.

Rhonda said...

That looks so yummy! MMM I love homemade bread and I loved this blog. They look like they were having so much fun.

Sherri said...

How fun...and yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh you HAVE to post the recipe! That looks so yummy!!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

We love making bread here...it is so much better! GREAT photos by the way. :)