Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Day of Remembrance

September 17th marked 3 years since we lost someone very special to our family. We have made it our tradition to go out to the cemetary each year on that day and let the kids release balloons. At the funeral, the grandkids all released balloons so that is where this idea came from. I was debating whether or not I should post this on our school blog, but I decided, this is a big thing in our lives so I needed to include it here as well.
Last Monday, Randy took the day off and stayed home with us. We got ready and ran to town to pick up the balloons and something for lunch. Then we headed out to the cemetary and had a picnic lunch at Grandma's graveside. The weather was so nice. We spent some time just hanging out, Aaron and Kristen played cards and the kids all played in the grassy area beside the cemmetary. After a little bit, we got the balloons out and released them. Here are the pics.....















Papa, getting the balloons ready


The kids putting hugs and kisses on the balloons to send to Grandma.


Ready......set......release....



This picture was so neat to me.....if you notice the one long ray of sunshine reaching down to where the balloons were going up......almost like "Grandma" was reaching down to get all the hugs and kisses !!!

Watching the balloons go up...



It was a really nice time of remembering someone so special. She would have loved it. Later that afternoon, the kids and I went for a ride to see my brothers for a few minutes and then to visit my grandmother (Mema, as the kids call her). The day is not easy, and lots of tears are shed, but even still, it was a great way to spend the day.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I think that taking your family to the cemetary and releasing the balloons for remembrance is a lovely way to show how much you care. The picture with the ray of light coming down on the balloons gave me the chills. Seems to me like she knew you were all there.